The Grower Engagement Meetings are designed to allow canola growers from across Alberta to hear from, interact with, and provide direct feedback throughout the day to the Alberta Canola directors, staff, and partners attending.
Fairview, and Westlock locations (scroll down for online broadcast agenda)
8:30 - 9:00 Meeting check-in opens
- Join us for coffee, light snacks, and networking
9:00 - 9:30 Welcome & Introductions
- Three Alberta Canola directors are hosting each meeting. Learn about their region and their roles within Alberta Canola
9:30 – 10:15 Research & Agronomy
- Kathryn Knodel, Research Coordinator
- Update on Alberta Canola's significant research funding & the partnerships that leverage grower investment
- Guest speaker at each location with a canola agronomic update
10:15 – 10:30 Break
10:30 – 11:15 Policy & Advocacy
- Bijon Brown, Sr. Policy Analyst & Will Holowaychuk, Policy Analyst
- Agricultural Land Use Policy - an update on the impact of green energy projects
- Hot topics - highlighting the burning issues of the day at each location
11:15 - 12:00 Governance & Finance
- Karla Bergstrom, Executive Director
- Review of audited financial statements, the current year budget, and regulatory review changes.
12:00 – 12:45 LUNCH
12:45 – 1:30 Public Education & Promotion
- Louise Labonte, Public Education & Promotion Coordinator
- Learn about key Alberta Canola initiatives to educate consumers, educators, and students about the benefits of canola and the importance of agriculture.
1:30 – 2:15 Grower Engagement & Extension
- Rick Taillieu, Director of Engagement & Analytics
- AgSafe Alberta is one of the programs that Alberta Canola provides financial support to. AgSafe Executive Director Jody Wacowich is joining us at all locations to update growers on the programs and services they offer to help keep farms safe.
2:15- 2:30 Break
2:30 – 3:00 Wrap-up Panel - Ask us anything
- Alberta Canola directors and staff will share what they heard at the meeting and open the floor for growers in attendance to ask questions about anything that Alberta Canola is doing or should be working on.
December 19 Online Broadcast
10:00 – 12:00 A conversation with Alberta Canola hosted by Dianne Finstad
- Joining Dianne in studio are Alberta Canola's Chair Roger Chevraux, Vice-Chair Ian Chitwood and Executive Director Karla Bergstrom to discuss:
- what we heard from growers at the four Grower Engagement Meetings,
- the activities of the organization,
- the financial health of Alberta Canola
- Hear from our national partners joining us virtually:
- Rick White, Canadian Canola Growers Association
- Chris Davison, Canola Council of Canada
- Growers will be able to submit questions ahead of time and during the broadcast